Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Getting Stronger Everyday

It's been a little over 4 weeks since my surgery so I guess it's time for an update though not a lot has been happening. (Hopefully we still have some readers!)

After spending a full week in the hospital, I was eating regular food when I left and spent much of the next couple weeks laying on the couch though I did take short walks with Russ and the dogs. My strength and stamina continue to improve daily though not 100% yet, but the surgeon says I'm coming along right on schedule. Some days I get frustrated that I'm not able to do more, but I just have to keep reminding myself it's only been 4 weeks and recovery from major abdominal surgery takes time. Russ has been a great help handling everything, and though I'm still not able to drive or vacuum, I have taken back a few of my "chores" much to Russ' delight. I'm even able to walk the dogs by myself though only one at a time. I'm still not ready to walk them together because if one of them lunges at another dog or a squirrel, it would not be good on my abdominal muscles!

This past week has been a little more eventful. We attended the customer appreciation event at the Sweetbay grocery store celebrating their one year anniversary on Sat., and on Tues. we went to Denny's with our neighbors for the nationwide Free Grand Slam breakfast! Sun. night we had set the alarm for 4:15 a.m., and turned the TV to the NASA channel when it went off to see if the shuttle was still scheduled to launch at 4:30, and it was. We quickly dressed and went outside to catch a glimpse of the STS-130 space shuttle from our campground. The skies were clear, and we had turned on the outside TV for the countdown. Several other people were outside, and soon all of us spotted an orange ball rising over the treeline! Keep in mind that the shuttle launches over an hour's drive from here, but for the next 7 minutes, we watched it streak across the sky at an altitude of about 54 miles and nearly 650 miles downrange until it disappeared over the horizon. Always a thrill to see!

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully by the next blog post I'll be back to 100%, and we'll have more to report. Stay warm wherever you are!

2 comments:

Scott Gad said...

Susan,
Glad to hear you are on the mend (and right on schedule).
Actually reading today's blog was a real experience in de-ja vu. It seems like just a year ago that that new grocery store had their grand opening celebration, that Denny's had their first free breakfast, and that we viewed a shuttle launch.
I guess that the more things change, the more they stay the same!
Scott

Hmnbrdz said...

Hey Susan and Russ...Hope you both are feeling good and Susan, let time heal you all the way...DO NOT RUSH ANYTHING!! I'm sure Russ can run the vacuum once in a while..LOL..It'll be 6 months down the road and then a year and you will wonder how long ago did you have the surgery..LOL..Take care and be safe..Just enjoy Russ taking care of the rv and you..Who knows when it will happen again..LOL..It looks like we may be in the area shortly..New developments have come up but won't know for sure until tomorrow afternoon..Hugs to you both..We'll try and get together..