Saturday, January 21, 2012

Remembering Ellen


Ellen Culliton
1955-2012


Today my dear friend lost her battle with cancer. Having only been diagnosed a little over a year ago, she had been given the all clear and was looking forward to returning to work this month. Then right before Christmas she discovered that the cancer had returned and spread to her brain. Despite more rounds of radiation, the tumors did not shrink. Thankfully she did not have to suffer for long.

Memories have been flooding back during these past few weeks of our times together. Ellen and I met freshman year of high school and that friendship continued over these many years. Even while we were miles apart and she had no e-mail address, we still stayed in touch though not as much as probably either of us would have liked. Over the past few years during my trips back to St. Louis, we enjoyed our get-togethers with our other high school friends, remembering fun times, and catching up on our lives.

Way back when we had silly, crazy times together whether it was with my mom park hopping or boating on the river or dancing the night away. She was there during many important events in my life such as birthday celebrations, and she was a bridesmaid in my wedding.

Ellen touched so many lives and will be greatly missed by all. She is survived by her sister, Gail, brother-in-law, Richard, and nephews, Michael and Matthew, whom she loved to brag about. She was a passionate supporter of the University of Notre Dame, and I’ll always think of her when we watch one of their games on TV. I can almost hear her cheer “Go Irish!”

I’ll miss her smiling face and independent spirit but will always carry a piece of her in my heart. As someone recently said, "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal...love leaves a memory no one can steal...keep the memories in your heart." Today I lost a good friend and the world lost a good person.

7 comments:

Diana said...

THAT WAS TRULY BEAUTIFUL.............

Diana said...

VERY TOUCHING and a great memory for us all to look back on..

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute Susan. I know Ellen is just as proud of having you for a friend for so many years. Her death has brought so many memories back and more importantly how easily I lost contact with so many people that were such a huge part of my life. Kathy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this Susan. It is beautiful.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute Susan. She was just as lucky to have you as a lifelong friend as you were to have her. Cherish those memories kept sweetly in your heart. Hug Kim

Anonymous said...

This was a very touching tribute Susan. I'm sure Ellen is smiling and thankful that you were such a good friend to her. Cindy

Julie said...

Ellen & I were like oil and water. As a child on up, she annoyed the heck out of me. That's why it's so strange that upon hearing of her illness I found myself crying. I realized I loved her as I love all my sister's crazy friends. I too remember the park hopping and dancing and the many parties and Ellen just always irritated me but she was truly a unique person and obviously one that snuck up on you w/o you knowing it and dug a hole in your heart. Her death just broke my heart. Rest in peace you strange and beautiful woman.